The simple charm of a small backyard wedding will delight friends and family to no end!
Whether for a first time out or perhaps a lucky second chance, a backyard wedding can be perfectly chic. It’s an intimate setting, low-key and without too much pomp and circumstance.
The other advantage to a smaller venue like a backyard is that you can go so many ways with it, in terms of décor and design! Leverage the existing landscape and then go to town with the rest.
Elegant Crystal And Light
Even outdoors, a sit down dinner with elegant table settings and cut crystal glassware is an attractive option. Incorporate the simplicity of nature by eschewing hothouse blooms and instead picking wildflower centerpieces to complement the landscape around you.
Sconces with firelight, candles on the tables, covered chairs and heavy linens are the order of the day for this tasteful festivity. With this design, you can easily incorporate furniture you might already have at home (and if you don’t have it, you should!), such as the Zedd 2-Tier Trolley in Chrome from WHi.
It would be a delightful piece for the bar to leverage, to make sure everyone has a signature cocktail in hand!
Haul out the picnic tables and gingham pattern cloths and napkins for a down home country event that your guests will be talking about for years to come. Set hay bales around, in stacks, and little flags and hanging lanterns and you have the makings for a perfect day in the sun.
You can keep it simple with a barbecue luncheon to follow the ceremony, or an evening pig roast, if that’s your preference. Whatever you choose, the point is for your guests to have a grand old time!
Have a sturdy but thematic piece out for holding the gifts that people bring. It will fit right into the look! Like what? How about the Zahir Coffee Table in Distressed Grey, with the cast iron wheels and legs, giving that country look with a touch of class.
If you’re not travelling to Bora Bora for your honeymoon, bring a sampling of that beautiful landscape into your backyard. A small sandy beach installed just for the occasion, comfortable beach chairs, colorful lanterns and fresh seafood cooked over an open flame. What more could anyone want?
A Tahitian Mahana cocktail maybe? Here’s the best recipe we’ve ever tried!
- Chopped fresh pineapple
- ⅔ ounce of Cointreau
- 1 ⅓ ounce of vodka (vanilla flavored is best!)
Just blend the pineapple, Cointreau and vodka in a blender. Add the ice to crush and serve with an umbrella!
Fairy Lights And Tulle
An evening ceremony, followed by dancing and nibbles, is artfully simple. Adding masses of tiny, twinkling white lights and sparkly tulle to reflect it all can turn a standard backyard into a fairy tale paradise.
Invent a cocktail for the occasion and have stand up tables to put plates of nibbles on, with some seating around the edge of the dance floor for those that need it. Stools are a perfect option for this, like the Noor Bar Stool in Ivory from !nspire, with the acrylic base and footrest and button tufted leather cushion, it’s style and comfort all in one tidy package.
A Few Practical Considerations
- If the weather in your are is a little up and down, you might want to consider a marquee or tent, with or without heaters or fans, to keep guests comfortable and dry
- If you’re opting for an evening ceremony and party, and you live in a buggy part of the country, make sure you have some bug spray on hand. Go deet-free. It won’t be everyone’s favorite scent but there’s nothing worse than guests slapping themselves silly to get rid of the mosquitos
- If you’re not doing a sit down event, make sure there is plenty of seating for those who need a time out from the fun. You don’t want your guests collapsing
- Have a plan B. If you’re not opting for a tent in the yard, you need to have a plan in case the weather just isn’t cooperating. Can everyone fit in the house? Do you have enough seating for them all? If not, and you’ve ever thought of investing in some storage benches or a chic new settee, now would be the time!
Martina Settee in Grey from !nspire – this French inspired grey velvet seat has beautiful curved arms and solid turned post style legs.
A new fan favorite at Worldwide Homefurnishings Inc.!
A backyard wedding is lovely and intimate, a time to enjoy friends and family to the fullest in the celebration of this momentous occasion. Just remember to breathe deeply and enjoy it too! If you’re planning or have recently hosted a small wedding, tell us about it! Better yet, send us an invite!